Thursday, 5 July 2012

So much for consistency

Well it's been a while since I last posted but in my defence it's been a very busy couple of weeks!
I was on holiday in Sydney to meet my partner's family and I am slightly ashamed to say it was also my first visit to the  Eastern States-based city. I'm 31, it really should have happened before now.

What a beautiful city I had been missing out on too. I went to the Museum of Contemporary Art and there were a few good pieces there but two floors were closed of to set up for a new exhibit. Overall, not my style, it only reinforced my love for the impressionist era and Edvard Munch. Now that's art.

NAIDOC week

What a great week.

29 June - went to the opening of Jimmy Pike's Artlines at the University of Western Australia. You can read my story and review here:

Pike pens practical, personal art

2 July - had a lovely lady called Jacqui Oakley speak at my work about NAIDOC Week and particularly the Tent Embassy. I did not know that the concept began 40 years ago in Canberra, there was a tent embassy here in Perth a few months ago and sadly no one seemed to know why they had set it up or what they wanted to achieve.

40 years ago Aboriginal people had no rights. While we still have a way to go, especially in terms of health care, it's good to see how far we have actually come in those years.

6 July - Black as Michael Jackson at the Blue Room Theatre. Really looking forward to this one tonight. A collection of monologues by two Aboriginal women on the topic of racism and generally what it's like to be Aboriginal today.

Have a great day and enjoy what's left of NAIDOC week fellow Australians.

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment