Monday, 30 July 2012

Revolutionary in 2012: what does that look like?

Sleepless on Sunday meant I watched Paper Giants: the birth of Cleo. Fantastic, what a great mini-series. I adore Asher Keddie as an actress and she did such a great job of playing Ita Buttrose.

For someone like me, who is a child of the 80s, Paper Giants showed me just how different things were 'back then', in the early 70s. Women couldn't get a home loan on their own, they didn't have access to information about birth control. Things we would find outrageous today in 2012.

Cleo was certainly a revolutionary publication. It covered everything from love, sex, fashion and of course the infamous sealed section. I remember my own Nanna buying me a Cleo magazine when I was about 13 for the 12 hour drive to Exmouth from Perth. I tried to keep the sealed section quiet but my brother had other ideas. I felt his breath on my shoulder as he squealed: "Ewww, Lauren's looking at...." yeah you know what I was looking at.

Anyway, it got me thinking. What would be revolutionary today? It seems that nothing is off limits so what on earth would we write about?

Does it mean we are becoming to desensitised to events in the world?

If you had to produce the first issue of Cleo today, what would you write about?

No comments:

Post a Comment