As I sit here and sip my Twinings English Breakfast and nibble on my biscuit I feel a pang of ... homesickness.
No I am not technically British. I've never even lived in England. I lived in Scotland instead. The Scots might not always like being part of the United Kingdom but they still have tea and biscuits every afternoon.
Most of yesterday was spent watching various documentaries on HM Queen Elizabeth and her 60 years on the throne. I have to say, it was one of the most enjoyable viewing experiences I have had in a long time.
It wasn't until seeing these documentaries that I really understood just how important she is or how much she has experienced in her time as Queen.
A lot of forward planning must have gone into this Diamond Jubilee, footage was being shot back in 2010.
Archive footage showed the Queen in some of her most human moments; at her beloved races, dancing with her sister and meeting with various Prime Ministers and dignitaries.
This is a big part of history and I am so glad I watched it. Yes, I wished I was there - grey skies and all.
A thought occurred to me - the next Diamond Jubilee should be William and I hope he gets there, I hope I do too.
A debate took place in my office this morning about the hullabaloo - "Aren't you angry that they spent all this money in the middle of a recession?" Australian man asked English woman.
She looked horrified. "No, I'm not."
Easy for her to say perhaps, seeing as she lives in Australia. Easy for him I suppose as his only experience of the UK recession has been through the media.
I butted in (as usual): "They need the celebration Australian man, after everything they have been through. They need something to be happy about."
And they do. And they should. Long live the Queen.
My tea's getting cold and Coronation Street is nearly on.....
Yours in word-nerdiness,
Lauren
No comments:
Post a Comment